Friday, November 06, 2009

Sam's hospital stay!

Sam had a perforated appendix. He went to school on Mon Oct 26th. In the middle of the classroom he threw up all over his desk. I went and picked him up thinking he had a stomach bug or the flue. On Tues he woke up and couldn't move but was holding down food, I thought that maybe he had pulled a muscle when he was violently throwing up.. Then about 5 PM he started throwing up again, at that point I was done I loaded the Family up and My sweet Hubby drove us to the PM clinic at the kids Dr office.. The Dr came in touch Sam on the tummy then ordered a CBC. The nurse came in went out and the Dr was back telling me to take him to Mary Bridge Children's Hospital.. I about lost it.. We got to the hospital (about half hour away from the DR office 55 min from our home) and thing went so fast I told the ER nurse that I was checking Samuel Peck in and she told my to take him to a room on the side of the waiting room.. There was this lady that got mad because she had been waiting longer then me till the nurse told her that Sam's was life threatening and her wasn't. I was doing everything I could to keep it together.. Then they took us to the children's ER ( Tacoma General and Mary Bridge are one hospital just with separate parts). in the time we got in the ER at Mary Bridge DR came in and said yes he needed his appendix out, but wanted to do an ultra sound or cat scan. The funny thing is that Sam didn't want anyone one to touch his tummy, but when we were telling him the difference of the two procedures he chose the ultra sound... They paged the Ped Surgeon and she came in.. I loved he right away ( not that having the same name helped or anything) DR Stephanie Patrice Acierno ( we even have the same initials mine are SAP hers are SPA just twisted, we thought that was cool). She said there was no need for either test just to get him to the operating room ASAP.. So at 10:35 pm We were telling him we would see him in a little while.. He was out a little after 1 am and in recovery.. Dr Stephanie came out and talk to us- the appendix had perforated and the infection leaked into him abdominal area and then sealed itself again. She got everything she could. He had to be in the hospital for the next week.. Ben was with my sister the all week long.. Thank you Crystal, Britt and Alexis for taking care of my baby. They had him on a 24 hour Iv and antibiotics. He was still not holding liquids down till Sat night and then Sun. On Mon he started solids and did really well. We came home today. He still has to have IV antibiotics here at home so he has what they call A PICC line (Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter). Its all been hard and very scary but we are getting threw it.. Its just good to be home.. So that sums it up..

No comments: